International Health Certificate & Certificate of Veterinary Inspection

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection

When traveling within the United States, many states require an up-to-date Certificate of Veterinary Inspection from a licensed, accredited veterinarian when traveling. Your pet must be examined by a veterinarian in order for a health certificate to be issued. This certificate basically indicates your pet is healthy to travel and is not showing signs of a disease that could be passed to other animals or to people. Certain vaccinations must be up to date for a health certificate to be issued. As part of the exam, your veterinarian may check for heartworm disease and prescribe heartworm preventative medication. When you return home, your veterinarian may recommend a follow-up examination to make sure that your pet did not pick up any diseases or parasites while traveling.

You will need a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection to travel and some airlines require an acclimation certificate. Both of these certificates can only be completed and signed by a federally accredited veterinarian.

International Health Certificate
When traveling internationally, many countries, including those of the European Union, have a health certificate that is specific to their country. However, there are countries that do not have an approved health certificate. If there is not a health certificate for the country you are visiting, then you should use the International Health Certificate USDA-APHIS 7001 form if you are traveling from the United States.

It is officially known as United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals.
The International Health Certificate should be issued by your veterinarian as near to the date of travel as possible but not more than 21 days before travel.

The certificate should indicate the following:

  • Name of pet, breed and color
  • Age of Pet
  • Country Of Origin
  • Your name/address/phone number as the owner of your pet
  • The certificate should state that your pet is healthy and free of parasites.

The certificate should show the vaccinations that your pet has been given including the type, the manufacturer, and the batch number if possible.

Generally, the rabies vaccination must be given at least 30 days before travel but not more than 12 months before travel, although some countries are different. No matter what country your pet is traveling to, you must enter that country before your pet's most recent rabies vaccination has expired. Many countries require other vaccinations and blood tests. You need to consider the specific regulations for the country your pet is entering.